Cultural Tips – Slovenia
Superstitious beliefs for expatriates relocating to Slovenia.
Last time we tried to figure out if Afghans were still superstitious or if they left their beliefs behind.
This week, we would like to bring to light some of these customs from Slovenia.
- If you hear hammering on New Year’s Eve, somebody is going to die that year
- If you see your shadow on the wall without its head, someone is likely to die
- If you hear the chopping up or sawing of wood inside a house, that means someone is soon going to die there
- Four leaved clover brings good luck. Especially if torn with teeth. However, if the clover is a five leaved one, that means you are in for money
- If a white cat crosses the street, that brings happiness; if a black one, an accident might happen. Therefore, when you see a black cat crossing, spit three times over your left shoulder to avoid the accident. Also, tricolor cats bring luck anywhere, anytime
- In the spring, cuckoo brings happiness. Slovenians also believe that when a cuckoo sings, it brings wealth to those who at the time have money in their pocket
- If you see a dove (pigeon) sing/coo/chirp around a house, the owners are soon to be blessed with a child
- It is a common belief that if your nose itches, you will soon be angry. If it is the left side that itches, soon you’ll be kissing. However, if it’s the right one, you’ll be mad
- If your palm itches, you are to get money. If it’s the right palm, money will be spent
- A broken mirror means seven years of bad luck. This can be prevented if you collect all the broken pieces and bury them
No related posts.