Moving to a new country with your pet can be a hassle if you are not familiar with the complex rules and regulations governing the transportation of animals. It is highly recommended that you use a professional pet transportation service to avoid the many problems that can arise if transit is not handled properly. Move One’s Pet Transportation Department provides an excellent pet and animal relocation service inclusive of all pets, domestic and exotic. We have offices in 40 countries internationally and we can advise you on all the requirements for importing and exporting to and from these countries and worldwide.
As per the UAE regulations, all pets entering the UAE must obtain an import permit issued by the UAE Ministry of Environment and Water (MOEW). This document is valid only for 30 days, during which the pet should be brought into the UAE. In line with federal UAE law, all pets must arrive as manifest cargo shipment. Vaccinations must be a minimum of 21 days old at the time of applying for an import permit, but less than one year old and all pets must be micro chipped or tattooed. It is important to note that cats or dogs under four months of age are not allowed entry into the UAE.
UAE IMPORT PERMIT REQUIREMENTS FOR CATS & DOGS
Move One want to make things as simple as possible for you when you are importing your pet to the UAE. Please find below details of what is required in order to assist you and to clarify how long the process normally takes.
To import a pet into the UAE, you must have an import permit issued by the Ministry of Environment & Water. It will take around 3-5 working days to process the import permit.
Documents Required for the Import Permit
- CLEAR PASSPORT COPY OF THE PET OWNER
- VALID UAE RESIDENCE VISA
- VACCINATION BOOK WITH DATE OF MICROCHIP AND DETAILS OF ALL
- EMIRATES ID COPY
The Vaccination should state clearly the details of the date of insertion of microchip or tattoo number and details of the vaccinations. Please note that it is essential that the Microchip should have been inserted prior to the last vaccination for rabies.
|Dogs||Rabies||Canine Distemper Virus (CDV)||Canine Parvo Virus||Infectious Canine Hepatitis||Leptospirosis|
|Cats||Rabies||Feline Pan Leukcopenia (FPV)||Feline Rhinotrachitics (FHV-1)||Feline Calicivirus|
- The pet must have a Microchip or Tattoo (microchip must be ISO standard, NOT AVID) for identification purposes which must be recorded on your pets vaccination card/book and if required on the Rabies Serum Neturalization Report.
- Dogs and cats must be vaccinated for RABIES within the last year or 12 months (if recently administered 21 days should elapse after the rabies vccination date as a condition for allowing the pet to enter the UAE).
- There cannot be a gap in the rabies vaccinations from year to year. (If there is a gap a Rabies Serum Test will be required)
- All vaccinations must be current and therefore valid.
- Pets under the age of four months cannot enter the UAE.
- A valid health certificate will be required from the country of origin, confirming vaccinations, that the microchip was in place prior to the last vaccination for rabies and that the pet is in good health generally.
- A Certificate for Rabies Serum Neutralization test if applicable.
The Certificate is not required from the countries from the group below:
Australia, Austria, Andorra, Ascension Island, Antigua & Barbuda, Aruba, Barbados, Bahrain, Bermuda,Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark,Fiji,Finland, French Polynesia, Falkland Islands, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hong Kong, Iceland, Ireland, Japan, Jamaica, KSA, Kuwait, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Malta, Montserrat, Mauritius, Mayotte, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Qatar, Saint Vincent & the grenadines, Saint Kitts & Nevis,San Marino, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, U.S.A,Vatican City, Vanuatu, Wallis & Futuna.
For countries that are not mentioned in the group: The certificate should be from governmental laboratory or accredited laboratory.
PLEASE NOTE: all documents should be in ENGLISH or in the original language with English translation.
CONDITIONS PERTAINING TO THE APPLICATION FOR IMPORT PERMITS:
- The import permit is valid for 30 days. We are not allowed to import the pet with an expired import permit.
- The pet has to be shipped in manifest cargo shipment to the UAE. This is a federal UAE Law.
- The pets original documents must always travel with the pet.
- A Health Certificate from the country of origin Government Veterinarian is required.
- Each person is allowed to import only 2 pets.
Note: We can assist by obtaining the UAE Import Permit for you.
We also provide the following services:
- Customs Clearance
- Door to Door
- Airport to Airport
- Airport to Door
(whichever is your preference, we have experienced Pet Operators who will make your pet relocation to the UAE go smoothly and efficiently)
These dogs are not allowed to enter the UAE:
- All Kinds of Pitbull Terrier.
- American Pitbull Terrier
- Brazilian Fighting Dog (Fila Brasileino, Brazilian Mastiff)
- Argentinian Fighting Dog (Dogo Argentino, Argentinian Mastiff)
- American Staffordshire Terriers
- Japasese Tosa (Toslnu: Tosa Fighting Dog)
The following documents must be submitted when your pet arrives in the UAE:
Original Government Health Certificate from Origin Country which must be government issued and signed.
It should be in A4 format with “HEALTH CERTIFICATE” stated at the top of the document.
Please note that for all European passports, signature of the “Clinical Examination” page at the back of the passport is NOT ACCEPTABLE on its own. This Health Certificate must be issued within 10 days of travel date.
- Original Vaccination card
- Original Certificate for Rabies Serum Neutralization. (if applicable)
- A copy of the Import Permit (we will send it to you once its available)
If you would like to book your pet’s specific relocation with Move One, or for further information about our general pet relocation services, please contact us at email@example.com or request a free pet transportation quote by filling out our short online form. One of our dedicated animal relocation agents will follow up with you shortly with a quote tailor-made to your needs.
When exporting a pet from the UAE, a final check up, undertaken 48 hours prior to the flight, will be performed to confirm the weight of the pet and ensure that the dimension of the kennel meets the airline’s requirements. Customs clearance can be done either after this final check up or six hours before flight time. This process usually takes about an hour. It is recommended to have your pet at the cargo terminal at least six hours prior to your flight. To ensure the safety and comfort of your pet, Move One recommends the following:
- Let your pet get accustomed to the kennel before he/she travels even if he/she has travelled in it before; it will take your pet between two and five days to adjust to the kennel environment.
- Animals can get airsick so please give your pet a small meal on the evening before he/she travels and no later than twelve hours before the flight.
- Do not give your pet anything to drink within four hours of departure.
- Make sure that your dog or cat goes to the toilet before he/she travels.
- Please do not give any tranquilizers or sedatives to your pet as this may cause a lack of coordination leading to injury during transportation.
- Do not leave chewable toys inside the transport kennel.
- Make sure the leash for your pet is not inside the transport kennel, but secured on top of it.
In case you have an expensive leash, we recommend that you do not ship it with your pet, but bring it with your other belongings to the final destination.
- We recommend a single towel/blanket for bedding purposes.
Documents required for the exportation of pets include:
- A vaccination book
- Health certificate from MOEW
- A Copy of pet owner’s passport
Pets should be exported from the UAE with a UAE health certificate and must be micro shipped and fully vaccinated. Vaccinations must be a minimum of 30 days old at the time of travel but no more than one year old.
There is a new trend suggesting the UAE is increasingly becoming dog friendly. However, expats are advised to exercise discretion and sensitivity when handling their pets, especially in public. Dogs imported to the UAE must be registered with the respective municipality. Upon registration, a tag will be issued, which must be worn on the collar of the dog at all times. This tag is proof for the authorities that the dog is micro chipped, vaccinated and registered.
There are several veterinary clinics in the UAE as well as pet shops so expats need not worry. There are restrictions on where you can walk or exercise your dog and expats face a stiff fine if these restrictions are violated. Some particular breeds have to be leashed, muzzled and will not be allowed into certain buildings.
If you would like to book your pet’s specific relocation with Move One, or for further information about our general pet relocation services, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. One of our dedicated animal relocation agents will follow up with you shortly with a quote tailor-made to your needs.